I am an avid technologist with a lifetime love of computers and technology. I have experience with an extremely wide range of programming languages, operating systems, and technical positions. I bring a personable and professional attitude that enables me to motivate and lead teams of professionals in fast paced and highly technical environments. I have experienced two company acquisitions and regularly create and contribute to open source projects. In my recreational time I enjoy archery, firearms, sport driving, and of course PC gaming.
Comcast (Senior Principal Engineer) July 2017 to today
- Implemented a managed Kubernetes solution with kops.
- Created a helm chart that deployed all required infrastructure components to Kubernetes clusters.
- Created and open sourced Kuberhealthy, a tool for the synthetic monitoring of Kubernetes clusters.
- Implemented an OAuth solution for a federation of 13 or more Kubernetes clusters complete with custom kubectl setup script generation.
- Created and deployed various testing tools to verify end-to-end functionality at all times.
- Advocated for use of Go within the company.
- Organized and led instructional classes for Go programming and Kubernetes.
home.ai (Founder and VP of Engineering) January 2015 to July 2017
- Managed a team of developers through production of an Android and iOS client along with location tracking libraries for each.
- Created machine learning software to identify significant places users frequent and when they commute to those places by day of week and time of day.
- Created machine learning software to correlate household events and conditions with desired actions. (When someone gets home, a specific door unlocks or a garage door opens)
- Created machine learning software that identifies highly unusual conditions in a household. (A door being left unlocked at night)
- Developed and Engineered a service oriented architecture to facilitate the serving of API requests and the scalable processing of back end machine learning processes.
- Designed a Raspberry Pi alarm system with working LEDs, motion sensors, cameras, and speakers.
- Worked with Zigbee, ZWave, Bluetooth LE, and iBeacons in various ways.
- Integrated with Comcast Xfinity Home, Vivint, ADT Pulse, Wink, Nest, SmartThings, and many more.
- Created a real time ride share experience similar to Uber using WebSockets.
- Deployed production CassandraDB, ScyllaDB, Redis, MariaDB, and CouchDB clusters.
- Created benchmarking software to simulate dynamic user activity and location tracking variances accurately.
- Deployed Chef to automate deployment and configuration of new AWS nodes automatically.
thePlatform (Lead Systems Engineer) January 2012 to January 2015
- Wrote software that automated VM kickstart procedure with a user facing website that greatly improved the process of requesting and building VMs.
- Acted as a leader for a team that supported the infrastructure that served Comcast’s digital streaming video content.
- Specified and built hardware for a datacenter deployment in London to better serve overseas customers.
- Responsible for the hosting of over 3,000 VMs running both Windows and Linux operating systems.
- Deployed Chef to all servers across all environments to enable centralized configuration management and automated deployment.
Valve Software (Employee) January 2012 to July 2012
- Designed and laser cut a custom PC case to prevent overheating on first steam box prototype.
- Analyzed PCI compliance status of the company and its practices.
- Managed setup, operation, and tear down of PAX West Counter-Strike: Go booth.
- Wrote PowerShell scripts that allowed the company to send emails by floors dynamically as users relocated frequently.
- Deployed redundant Linux web cluster for high traffic TF2 wiki hosting.
Visa (Systems Engineer) via acquisitionMarch 2011 to July 2012
- Worked daily in a PCI level 3 environment.
- Deployed VMWare ESXi servers and transferred systems into a consolidated VM solution.
PlaySpan (Systems Engineer) via acquisitionJuly 2008 to March 2011
- Deployed database schema changes and published code to production
- Deployed Splunk and enabled developers to track web server logs in real time.
- Managed a helpdesk that supported users located around the globe.
- Setup and managed an Active Directory forest across four physical sites.
PayByCash (Systems Administrator)February 2008 to July 2008
- Setup a PCI level 3 vault and procedure set that passed compliance tests.
- Managed Subversion codebase for a team of programmers.
- Deployed company-wide anti-virus solution that successfully prevented several attacks.
HostedGameServers (Founder)May 2008 to April 2014
- Wrote, automated, advertised, launched, and managed HostedGameServers.com as a side project.
- Created a custom user control panel that integrated over 30 different games running on both Windows and Linux.
- Employed several support personnel.
- Executed an effective long-term SEO campaign to attain top Google search rankings for popular terms.
- Served over 11,000 unique customers around the world.
Blue Ridge Internetworks (Systems Administrator)April 2007 to February 2008
- Gained a personal letter of recommendation from famed game developer and private astronaut Richard Garriott.
- Worked with clients to move hardware into a datacenter and deploy server systems efficiently.
- Wrote and managed redundant monitoring systems for services, drive space, mail queues and more.
Velocity Computer Solutions (Founder)December 2005 to April 2008
- Created a company by going door to door and making use of advertising materials.
- Created a full time steady client base within 6 months.
- Served in the consultant capacity for software, hardware and website technologies across many various companies of different types.
- Helped clients better search engine rank through SEO optimization campaigns.
Gravitys Edge (Head Technician)July 2004 to December 2005
- Performed troubleshooting and analysis on customer systems.
- Created networks for home users and small businesses.
- Implemented a ticket based repair process that increased productivity.
Go, PHP/Hack, Python, JS/TypeScript, Ruby, Objective-C, Swift, bash, Java, PowerShell, xHTML/CSS, R
Cisco UCS, NetApp, F5 Load Balancers, Supermicro, Silicon Mechanics, EMC Isilon, Dell PowerEdge Series, HP, Raspberry Pi
Redis, CouchDB, MariaDB, MSSQL, Cassandra, ScyllaDB, BoltDB, RDS
Other Mentionable Software and Services
Kubernetes, Docker, Android Studio, XCode, Nginx, Atom, RStudio, Chef, Docker, NodeJS, Active Directory, CentOS, Alpine, Ubuntu, AWS, GCE, Ansible, DigitalOcean, Hugo, Jekyll, VMWare ESXi, git, Splunk, vim, Slack, WebSockets, Windows Server, MacOS…
Notable Open Source Contributions
A service for monitoring Kubernetes clusters
An idiomatic flag parsing package with excellent support for subcommands.
LightningPHP is a very fast micro MVC framework designed to work with HHVM.
Go Redis Migrator (Creator)
Featured in Redis Labs newsletter. Written in Golang. Migrates Redis data from a source host or cluster to a destination host or cluster.
A fast, transparent, general use TCP port proxy for bouncing TCP traffic through an intermediate host.
The best way to serve your current terminal directory as a web page.
Contributed fix for how sections are determined where no parent directory or default layout is present. Also improved documentation on the subject.
References available upon request.
Click here to print my resume or save it as a PDF