I am an avid technologist with a lifetime love of computers and technology. As a result, I have experience with an extremely wide range of programming languages, operating systems, and technical positions. I bring a personable but professional attitude that enables me to motivate and lead teams of professionals in fast paced and highly technical environments. I have experienced two company acquisitions and regularly contribute to open source projects. In my recreational time I enjoy archery, sport driving, and of course PC gaming.
IoT Stealth Startup (Founder and VP of Engineering) January 2015 to today
- Developed and engineered a service oriented architecture to facilitate the serving of API requests and the scalable processing of back end machine learning processes.
- Managed a team of developers through production of Android and iOS clients.
- Created machine learning software targeted at behavioral understanding and device automation
- Worked with Zigbee, ZWave, Bluetooth LE, and iBeacons in various ways.
- Integrated back end processing system with multiple IOT ecosystem providers such as SmartThings and Wink
- Created benchmarking software to simulate dynamic user activity
- Architected a fully automated deployment and configuration system for deployment to infrastructure providers such as AWS.
thePlatform (Lead Systems Engineer) January 2012 to January 2015
- Wrote software that automated VM kickstart procedure with user facing website that greatly improved the process of requesting and building VMs.
- Led team that supported the infrastructure that served Comcast’s digital streaming video content.
- Specified and built a datacenter deployment in London to better serve overseas customers.
- Responsible for over 3,000 VMs in running many different operating systems.
- Responsible for space in four data centers and several cloud environments.
- Deployed Chef to all servers across all environments to enable centralized configuration management and automated deployment.
Valve Software (Employee) July 2012 to January 2012
- Designed and laser cut a custom PC case to prevent overheating on first steam box prototype.
- Analyzed PCI compliance status of the company and its practices.
- Managed setup, operation, and tear down of PAX West booth.
- Wrote PowerShell scripts that allowed the company to send emails by floors dynamically as users relocated frequently.
- Deployed redundant Linux web cluster for high traffic wiki hosting.
Visa (Systems Engineer) via acquisitionMarch 2011 to July 2012
- Worked daily in a PCI level 3 environment.
- Deployed VMWare ESXi servers and transferred systems into a consolidated VM solution.
PlaySpan (Systems Engineer) via acquisitionJuly 2008 to March 2011
- Deployed database schema changes and published code to production
- Deployed Splunk and enabled developers to track web server logs in real time.
- Managed a helpdesk that supported users located around the globe.
- Setup and managed an Active Directory forest across four physical sites.
PayByCash (Systems Administrator)February 2008 to July 2008
- Setup a PCI level 3 vault and procedure set that passed compliance tests.
- Managed Subversion codebase for a team of programmers.
- Deployed company-wide anti-virus solution that successfully prevented several attacks.
HostedGameServers (Founder)May 2008 to April 2014
- Wrote, automated, advertised, launched, and managed HostedGameServers.com as a side project.
- Created a custom user control panel that integrated over 30 different games running on both Windows and Linux.
- Employed several support personnel.
- Employed an SEO campaign to attain top rankings for popular terms.
- Served 11,000 unique customers around the world.
Blue Ridge Internetworks (Systems Administrator)April 2007 to February 2008
- Gained a personal letter of recommendation from famed Richard Garriott.
- Worked with clients to move hardware into a datacenter and deploy server systems efficiently.
- Wrote and managed redundant monitoring systems for services, drive space, mail queues and more.
Velocity Computer Solutions (Founder)December 2005 to April 2008
- Created a company by going door to door and making use of advertising materials.
- Created a full time steady client base within 6 months.
- Served in the consultant capacity for software, hardware and website technologies across many various companies of different types.
- Helped clients better search engine rank through SEO optimization campaigns.
Gravitys Edge (Head Technician)July 2004 to December 2005
- Performed troubleshooting and analysis on customer systems.
- Created networks for home users and small businesses.
- Implemented a ticket based repair process that increased productivity.
Cisco UCS, NetApp, F5 Load Balancers, Supermicro, Silicon Mechanics, EMC Isilon, Dell PowerEdge Series, HP, Raspberry Pi
Redis, CouchDB, MariaDB, MSSQL, Cassandra, ScyllaDB, BoltDB
Other Mentionable Software and Services
Android Studio, Google Compute Engine, XCode, Nginx, Apache2, RStudio, Chef, Docker, NodeJS, Redis, Active Directory, Rserve, SharePoint, Exchange Server, CentOS, AWS, Ansible, DigitalOcean, Photoshop, Hugo, Jekyll, Akamai, Google Cloud, Windows Server, VMWare ESXi, Subversion, git, Splunk, PhantomJS, vim, Atom, Slack, Ubuntu, WebSockets, MacOS
Notable Open Source Contributions
LightningPHP is a very fast micro MVC framework designed to work with HHVM.
Go Redis Migrator (Creator)
Featured in Redis Labs newsletter. Written in Golang. Migrates Redis data from a source host or cluster to a destination host or cluster.
rserve chef cookbook (Creator)
Rserve is a Chef cookbook that deploys R on CentOS 6 and sets up a daemon for Rserve. Makes it possible to quickly and easily deploy lots of Rserve hosts.
Contributed fix for how sections are determined where no parent directory or default layout is present. Also improved documentation on the subject.
Script that de-duplicates pictures and videos before storing them into folders by year. The resulting files are backed up via rsync or ftp to a remote host.
Single PHP file that you can easily drop into a directory of pictures to convert them to a album based gallery.
Web API that enables web based management of LDAP servers.
Redis Clustering, Setup, and Advanced Failover Testing
A tutorial for the deployment of Redis using new built in clustering capabilities. Tested real life failover and provided instructions for proper node recovery. Featured on Redis Labs’ monthly newsletter.
Boot UBCD from your Android G1
Guide for setting up the first publicly available Android phone to dual boot into UBCD to enable password resets, filesystem access, virus scans, and more. Featured on Engadget.
References available upon request.
Click here to print my resume.
Back to Weblog